poway kenpo karate
poway kenpo karate
poway kenpo karate
Welcome to Poway Kenpo Karate! We offer a traditional martial arts program with a modern teaching approach for children, teens, and adults. Kenpo Karate, originally Kenpo Jiu Jitsu, is based upon the best aspects of Asian Martial Arts and American innovation.
This complete self-defense system uses the Kenpo method of basics and technique practice. Learn 3 primary fight ranges and 8 major angles of attack, while learning to defend yourself in all directions, against one or more than one attacker, with or without weapons. Develop skill in striking/kicking, body manipulation/ground grappling, controlling/submissions, plus invaluable vital target/pressure point knowledge.
Kenpo utilizes many fighting methods including Boxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian & Japanese Jiu Jitsu, Karate, Wrestling, Aikido, and more, along with our own special blends. Learn how to use your body as a weapon as you develop skill in our safe, polite, and fun training environment with our skilled and dedicated staff.
Our Youth Kenpo program especially has many wonderful benefits for children! Your child will improve strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination, all while learning discipline, focus, and respect.
This, with a skill level in martial arts, leads to self-esteem and self-confidence that will carry over into school, home, and social interactions.
Poway Kenpo was founded in 1984, and still run today by Barry Barker (aka Mr. B) M.A., 9th Degree, L.Ac. Mr. Barker has written 3 books and produced 15 martial art videos in his long martial arts career, and has promoted over 80 Black Belts, including 3 of his children, sons Josh (6th Degree) and Jordan (5th Degree), along with daughter Jessica (3rd Degree). Come try our award-winning program for yourself and Get Started!
Bio – coming soon
Bio – coming soon
Bio – coming soon
Objectives: Structure, Mental Focus, Behavior, Etiquette, Discipline, Self-Esteem, Goal Accomplishment, Sportsmanship, Agility, Coordination, Fun.
Objectives: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Self-Confidence, Self-Esteem, Peer Training, Goal Setting & Accomplishment, Conditioning, Agility, Skill, Teamwork, Fun.
(All ages up to 15)
Objectives: Leadership & Peer Training, Public Speaking, Anger Management, Non-violent Conflict Resolution, Superior Academics, a Calm Mind, an Energetic and Willing Spirit, Advanced Skill, Fun.
Barry Barker (aka Mr. B) is a 9th Degree Black Belt in American Kenpo (M.A. – Master of the Arts) with over 40 years of training.
He is also a Licensed Acupuncturist (L.Ac.) and a full-time school owner/teacher while running Poway Kenpo Karate / Poway Martial Arts for over 37 years and founded the American Kenpo Alliance (AKA).
Mr. Barker has produced 15 instructional videos, written 3 books, and promoted over 80 Kenpo Black Belts. Personally, he has 5 adult children, 6 grandkids, and is an avid Salsa dancer.
- Inducted Golden Global Martial Arts Hall of Fame 1998
- Inducted Masters Hall of Fame 2000
- Inducted World Amateur Martial Arts International Federation 2006
- Listed Heritage Registry of Who’s Who 2007
- City of Poway Mayors Commendation for Civic Work 2010 & 2014
- California State Senate Community Service Commendation 2012 & 2014
- Inducted USA Martial Arts Hall of Fame 2014
- Presidential Fitness Award 2017
Additional Personal Training (click to view):
- Ed Parker, Advanced Kenpo Theory
- Jeff Speakman, Kenpo Seminar
- Joe Lewis, several Fight Training Seminars
- Steve Nasty Anderson, several Fight Training Seminars
- Orned Chicken Gabriel, 2 Years Personal Training & many Fight Training Seminars
- Brian Adams, Knife & Stick Fighting Seminar
- Dave Hebler, Power & Speed Seminar
- Richard Post, Knife Fighting Seminar
- Rick Hughes, many Classes & Seminars
- Willy Steele, many Classes & Seminars
- Toke Hill, Olympic Style Sparring Seminar
- Mike Stone, Martial Arts Seminars
- Eric Lee, Martial Arts Training Seminar
- Parker Linekin, many years of Seminars & Training
- John Denora, Daito Ryu Seminar
- George Dillman, Pressure Point Seminar
- Prof. Wally Jay, several Small Circle Jiu Jitsu Seminars
- Royce Gracie, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Seminars
- Nelson Monteiro, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 2 Years Training & Seminars
- Carlos Valente, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 1 Year Training and Seminars
- Vic Zamora, Boxing Personal Training
- Vincent Soberano, Muay Thai Personal Training
- Melchor Menor, Muay Thai Seminars & Classes
- Nelson Siyavong, several Muay Thai Seminars
- Kaewsamrit Muay Thai Training Camp, 2 Weeks Bangkok Thailand
- Cepeda Brothers, Arnis de Mano Classes
- Krav Maga, Certification Seminar
- CDT, Certification Seminar
- Cung Lee, San Shou Seminar
- Jim Tian, Tai Chi Chuan several years
- Frank Primicias, Lo Han Chi Gung Seminars
- Chen Sitan, Taiji Seminar
- Rey Leal, Tai Chi Personal Training
- International Training Program, Chengdu University of Chinese Medicine in Chengdu, China
Kenpo creed & belt pledges
& belt pledges
I come to you with Kenpo Karate, the law of the fist and the empty hand. Should I be forced to defend myself, my family or my friends, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons, Kenpo Karate, the law of the fist and the empty hand.
Pledge of Restraint: I pledge solemnly and on my honor that I will never misuse my skills to hurt or make afraid. I will fight only if forced to defend myself. I will be slow to anger and take offense, and quick to forgive and forget personal affront.
Pledge of Defense: I shall never let pride rule my passions and will defend with all the skill I possess, the weak, the helpless, and the oppressed. I shall come forth with all of my abilities to defend my fellow man in time of need, regardless of race, religion or creed.
Pledge of Accomplishment: I pledge that through persistence and determination I will continue to sharpen my skills, increase my knowledge and broaden my horizons. My skill will be tempered in the fire of my will. My sweat will be the cologne of my accomplishment. I pledge an unending effort to accomplish the levels of skills as set forth by my instructors and my school.
Pledge of Loyalty: I pledge never to take lightly the loyalty and trust that I share with my teachers in Kenpo. I will strive to attain and share that same loyalty and trust in my dealings with others inside and outside of the Karate School. I resolve that the loyalty and trust I give is not based upon an expected return but upon what is right to give.
Brown Belt - 3rd Class Instructor's Pledge
I pledge that I will obligate myself under the direction of my instructor to learn the skills of a teacher. I will strive to demonstrate an attitude of respect and appreciation for my students, my teachers and the teachings of Kenpo Karate. I promise to guide others toward an understanding of the responsibility that this knowledge entails. I make this pledge solemnly and on my honor.
Brown Belt – 2nd Class Pledge of Respect
I pledge to treat others with courtesy and respect at all times whether inside or outside of the Karate School. I understand that the courtesy and respect I give may not always be returned to me equally but that my obligation as a trained martial artist and a good citizen is to act as a role model for others by demonstrating correct behavior at all times.
Brown Belt – 1st Class Advanced Brown Pledge of Determination
As I look forward to the next milestone in my training I hereby pledge to reaffirm my will and determination to accomplish my goals. These qualities have helped me reach this point in my training and they will continue to motivate me to reach and exceed my personal expectations in this and in all things.
Black Belt – 1st Degree Oath
I pledge that my search for knowledge will never cease. I will strive to act with courtesy and respect, always searching for peaceful resolution. I will be honest and forthright in my dealings with others. My word will be my bond, my handshake my oath of friendship and trust. If ever forced to violence I will fight the good and righteous fight, always bearing in mind my obligations, responsibilities, and loyalty to God, my family, my country, and my friends. By honoring this sacred vow, I make myself worthy to join the ranks of the Kenpo Black Belt
Black Belt – 2nd Degree Pledge of Commitment
I pledge to be goal-oriented and resolute for myself and for the good of those that I can affect. I pledge to be result oriented with a firm conviction to affect the world in a positive way. I pledge to be forward thinking yet content with today but not satisfied with tomorrow.
Black Belt – 3rd Degree Pledge of Honor
I pledge on my honor to live up the expectations and guidelines set forth by the code of the modern warrior. I will be a polite contributor to the society of which I am a part. I am honored to walk in the footsteps of past great contributors to this noble discipline. I will strive to be worthy of future appreciation.